If you edited on fallenlondon.fandom.com at least once prior to 22 March, 2021, you can log in here using the same username and password that you used to log into Fandom. We'll verify your account details and grant you access here.
User:Asarta/Ambition: Heart's Desire (Guide)
Work in progress by Asarta
They say that once every nine years there's a card game where you can gamble your soul and win your heart's desire. That sounds like tremendous fun.
The bit about gambling your soul is bound to be an exaggeration. Surely.
This Guide describes the whole story of Ambition: Heart's Desire! in detail. There will be spoilers ahead; if you don't want spoilers just look at Ambitions (Guide) which gives a spoiler-free introduction to all Ambitions
Ambition: Heart's Desire! is an Ambition about trying to track down and win a card game to get your Heart's Desire. Along the way you'll meet a colorful cast of characters and locations. This might be the lighthearted Ambition out there apart from a small piece all the way at the end. It focuses primarily on Persuasive and Watchful.
Starting the Ambition[edit source]
Ambition: Heart's Desire! is started in Veilgarden where you are investigating a rumor about a game where you can win your Heart's Desire on the storylet Ambition: Heart's Desire! 0 storylet. After choosing it there are a few storylets just to get you started:
- Ambition: Heart's Desire! 1. Ask around Veilgarden who can help you find the card-game.
- Ambition: Heart's Desire! 2. Trade x 30 Whispered Hint for the book On the Maladies of Goats, volume 1 to an bookseller in Spite. The book is completely useless. The bookseller however writes an address inside that you can't seem to copy.
- Ambition: Heart's Desire! 2b. You now have a useless book with an address you can't copy and worst of all doesn't seem to exist. Ask around Spite if anyone knows where to find it.
- Ambition: Heart's Desire! 3. A woman with a red scarf and a pet monkey is said to know more about the Marvellous. Build up enough contacts to arrange a meeting.
- Ambition: Heart's Desire! 3b. You now have a note telling you to meet her in the The Forgotten Quarter. This will require you to have Route: The Forgotten Quarter to get this you will either need to complete the fourth A Name in Seven Secret Alphabets to five (consult Making Your Name (Guide) draw The Ways of the Forgotten Quarter which allows you to temporally access it or complete Find the Forgotten Quarter in your Lodgings which can only be accessed at this specific part of the Ambition.
- Ambition: Heart's Desire! 4. Track her down in the Forgotten quarter.
- Ambition: Heart's Desire! 5. You can't seem to find the woman, bit you have found her monkey.
- Ambition: Heart's Desire! 6. The monkey calms down after some time and seems to tell you to go to Watchmaker's Hill.
- Ambition: Heart's Desire! 7 You take your monkey around Watchmaker's Hill, but no one recognizes it. In desperation, you decide to go to the Observatory, where you find someone who deals with monkeys.
- Ambition: Heart's Desire! 8. A Blind Astronomer seems to know more but you'll have to pay him. However while talking with him your Monkey has disappeared. You'll need to find it before it damages anything.
- Ambition: Heart's Desire! 9. Once you've tracked down your Monkey the Blind Astronomer reveals that the Marvellous won't be held in another five years unless you can track down all players and convince them to start early. He hasn't got a clue who they are except that your Monkey is one of them.
- Ambition: Heart's Desire! 10. The Marvellous has seven players and you need to track down the other six to start early. You've already found one but he unfortunately is a Monkey, you decided to test his skill at cards.
- Ambition: Heart's Desire! 11. Once you've managed to give him cards the Monkey comes alive. He will only play however if you stake honey. After you win he points at the grand dome of St. Fiacre, London's Cathedral which is located on the edge of Spite.
- Ambition: Heart's Desire! 12. You're searching for a man with a top hat. This takes some time until you finally track down the right one: The Bishop of St Fiacre's himself. You'll need to convince him to play in the Marvellous.
After finding out that the Bishop of St Fiacre's is a player in the Marvellous you need to convince him to start playing earlier. This is done in a side branch of Ambition: Heart's Desire! called Ambition: Heart's Desire - The Bishop of St Fiacre's. As this Guide would get far too long otherwise that part is discussed in Ambition: Heart's Desire - The Bishop of St Fiacre's (Guide).
After having convinced The Bishop of St Fiacre's to play earlier and having gathered the traditional stake of the Marvellous; 77 x First City Coins. You can now go on to convince the next player: The Topsy King himself. This might be complicated however as the man in question is "troubled" (MAD! I tell you MAD!). For the Guide to this side branch see Ambition: Heart's Desire - the Topsy King (Guide). (work in progress)